Table of Contents
Udemy and Thinkific are two popular options for entrepreneurs and educators looking to offer online courses. Both platforms offer different features in creating, publishing and selling online courses. To determine which platform is best for you, you need to consider your needs, your budget, and your goals. In this blog we will evaluate Udemy vs Thinkific.
What is Udemy?
Udemy is one of the world’s leading online education platforms. Udemy offers thousands of online courses to students, businesses, and educators. There are hundreds of thousands of courses on the Udemy platform where you can learn about many subjects. Udemy offers students video, audio lessons, presentations, articles, books, and interactive apps to suit different learning styles.
What Are The Preference?
Udemy is an online education platform and home to millions of students and teachers from around the world. Here are some of the reasons why Udemy is preferred:
Wide Choice of Courses: Udemy hosts more than 155,000 courses that cover a wide variety of topics. Therefore, it offers many options for students to study in different fields of interest.
Affordable: Many courses on Udemy are affordable, and many free courses are also available. Therefore, it allows students to study different subjects without straining their budgets.
Easy Access: Udemy allows students to easily access courses as it is an online platform. Courses are accessible via a computer, tablet, or smartphone, and students can complete their studies at their own pace.
Quality Education: Many of the courses on Udemy are created by experienced teachers and are designed to provide quality education. In addition, students can rewatch course materials at any time and complete the learning process at their own pace.
What is Udemy’s Vision?
Udemy’s vision is to improve lives through learning. The company aims to democratize education and make it more accessible to people all around the world. Udemy’s founders believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn and improve their skills, regardless of their background or financial means.
How to Register for Udemy?
Signing up on Udemy is pretty simple. Here are step-by-step instructions for signing up with Udemy:
Go to the Udemy website: https://www.udemy.com/
Click the “Register” button in the upper right corner of the page.
Fill out the registration form. In this form, you need to enter information such as your name, surname, e-mail address and password. Also, tick the “I am not a robot” box on the registration form.
Click the “Register” button.
Open the confirmation message sent to your e-mail address and click the “Confirm My Account” button. This is required to complete your registration.
Log into your Udemy account and start learning by purchasing the courses you want or signing up for free courses.
Signing up on Udemy is free, but you may have to pay when purchasing a course or signing up for a paid course. Signing up for free courses is free.
What is Thinkific?
Thinkific is a platform where teachers and educators can create and manage their own online courses. Thinkific empowers teachers, coaches, consultants, writers, entrepreneurs and other experts to sell their courses, training and ebooks online.
Thinkific allows users to easily create their own courses and offers a range of features. For example, users can use different materials such as videos, pdf files, presentations and quizzes to prepare their courses. In addition, Thinkific provides users with the ability to offer free and paid courses and can integrate with various payment methods.
Thinkific offers a range of tools and options for teachers to brand and customize their courses. This allows courses to be designed to suit their different corporate identities. In addition, Thinkific offers a range of tools and features for students to follow courses, monitor their progress, and issue digital credentials.
What are the Features of Thinkific?
- Course Creation Tools: Thinkific provides a user-friendly course builder that allows users to create and customize their courses with ease. Users can add videos, text, quizzes, surveys, and other multimedia content to their courses.
- Customizable Templates: Thinkific offers customizable templates that users can use to create a professional-looking website for their courses. Users can choose from a range of templates and customize them to fit their branding and style.
- Multimedia Support: Thinkific supports a range of multimedia formats, including videos, audio, PDFs, quizzes, and surveys. This makes it easy to create engaging and interactive learning experiences.
- Course Analytics: Thinkific provides detailed analytics and reporting tools that allow users to track their students’ progress and performance. This data can be used to improve the course content and marketing strategies.
- Payment Processing: Thinkific offers built-in payment processing, allowing users to accept payments for their courses directly on the platform. Users can set up one-time payments, subscriptions, or payment plans. You want to see Thinkific pricing plans.
- Marketing Tools: Thinkific offers a range of marketing tools, including email automation, affiliate marketing, and integrations with popular tools like Mailchimp, Google Analytics, and Facebook Pixel.
- Custom Domains: Thinkific allows users to use their own custom domains, giving them greater control over their branding and online presence.
- Mobile Responsive: Thinkific courses are mobile-responsive, ensuring that students can access the course content on any device.
What is the Reason for Preference?
- Ease of use: Thinkific is a user-friendly platform that makes it easy for anyone to create and sell online courses. The course builder is intuitive, and the customizable templates make it easy to create a professional-looking website.
- Comprehensive feature set: Thinkific offers a wide range of features, including course creation tools, customizable templates, multimedia support, course analytics, payment processing, and marketing tools. This makes it a one-stop-shop for users looking to create and sell online courses.
- Customization: Thinkific allows users to customize their courses and website to match their branding and style. Users can use their own custom domains, logos, and colors, giving them greater control over their online presence.
- Mobile responsiveness: Thinkific courses are mobile-responsive, meaning they can be accessed on any device, including smartphones and tablets.
- Marketing tools: Thinkific provides a range of marketing tools, including email automation, affiliate marketing, and integrations with popular marketing tools like Mailchimp, Google Analytics, and Facebook Pixel. These tools can help users promote their courses and reach a wider audience.
What are the Differences Between Udemy and Thinkific?
Udemy and Thinkific are two popular online learning platforms, but they differ in a few ways.
Both platforms allow you to create and sell online courses, but the process is different. Udemy offers a course creation tool that’s designed to be simple and easy to use, so you can quickly create a course and publish it on the platform. Thinkific, on the other hand, provides a more customizable course creation process that allows you to design a unique course experience. You can choose from different course templates, customize the course player, and add multimedia content like videos, quizzes, and surveys.
Udemy has a fixed pricing structure where the price of your course is set by Udemy based on market demand and competition. Udemy takes a percentage of your course revenue as a commission, which is usually around 50%. Thinkific, on the other hand, allows you to set your own course pricing and keep 100% of the revenue you earn. You can also choose to offer free courses, one-time payments, or recurring subscriptions.
Marketing and Promotion
Udemy has a large student base and offers built-in marketing and promotion tools to help you reach more students. Udemy has a search algorithm that promotes courses based on relevance, quality, and student feedback. Thinkific, on the other hand, doesn’t have a built-in marketing system, but it provides integration with email marketing platforms and social media marketing tools to help you promote your courses to your audience.
Thinkific offers more customization options than Udemy. You can create a branded course website that matches your brand identity, and you have control over the look and feel of your course player. Udemy, on the other hand, provides a standard course player that’s consistent across all courses on the platform.
Support and Training
Udemy offers a comprehensive help center and community forum to help you get started with course creation and promotion. They also offer a course creation guide and video tutorials. Thinkific provides a similar level of support, but they also offer personalized onboarding and dedicated customer support for their paid plans.
What are the Similarities Between Udemy and Thinkific?
Both platforms provide an e-commerce infrastructure that enables course creators to sell their courses and process payments. They also offer features like coupons, bundles, and affiliate programs to help course creators market and sell their courses.
Udemy and Thinkific both offer a user-friendly interface for both course creators and learners. The platforms are designed to be easy to navigate, making it simple for learners to find and enroll in courses.
Analytics and reporting
Both platforms provide analytics and reporting tools that enable course creators to track student progress, monitor course performance, and adjust their strategies accordingly.
Both platforms are mobile-friendly, allowing learners to access courses from their smartphones and tablets.
Udemy vs Thinkific: Which is the Best for Course Business?
Udemy and Thinkific are popular platforms for online courses. The best platform for your business may vary depending on your needs and goals.
Udemy has a large student base and you can find courses on many different topics on the platform. Also, Udemy’s advertising and marketing tools are highly effective for promoting your course to potential students. However, Udemy also has some disadvantages. For example, Udemy does not provide you with personal information from students who purchase your course, and Udemy takes 50 percent of your sales.
Thinkific, on the other hand, lets you host your courses yourself and lets you sell your courses on the platform. This gives more control and flexibility, and Thinkific takes 5-10 percent of your sales. Also, Thinkific’s customization options are extensive and you can tailor our course entirely to your brand. However, Thinkific’s advertising and marketing tools are more limited and have a smaller student base than Udemy.
So, while Udemy may be the better option with its large student base and advertising/marketing benefits, Thinkific offers more control and customization options. It’s important to consider your needs and goals to determine which platform is best for you.